There are different reasons that makes your computer slow. But no worries with few simple steps you can make your computer fast again as before.
Prevent unnecessary background programs
There might be background programs running in your computer. You can check and disable unnecessary programs that are running in the background. Some programs may start as soon as you turn on your computer. Use the following steps to prevent unnecessary background programs:
- Right-click the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Task Manager
- Click the Startup tab at the top of the screen.
- Click an app that you want to disable and press end task.
Computer or processor is overheating
Make sure your is not overheating. Excessive heat in computer and processor can slow down your computer. Reason for decrease in the computer’s performance is because most operating systems automatically reduce the speed of the processor to help compensate for heat related issues.
Scan for viruses
Computer viruses makes computer slow. Your computer might be infected with one or more viruses. Make sure that you have an antivirus program installed to remove and prevent viruses on your computer. We also recommend you to install only one good antivirus program on your computer.
Delete temp files
Temporary files are stored on the hard drive and deleting these unnecessary temp files can make computer fast. Here are the simple few steps that can help removing temp files.
- Open the Start menu or and press the Windows key, then type %temp% in the Search field.
- Press Enter and Temp folder will open.
- Press ctrl + A to select all files and folders to delete. If any files are in use and cannot be deleted, they can be skipped.
Free hard drive space
Make sure there is at least 200-500MB of free hard drive space avaiable on your computer. You can uninstall space hungry applications and other applications that you never use. You can uninstall program from control panel using simple steps:
- Navigate to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program.
- Select a program that you know you don’t use anymore.
- Click Uninstall.
Your computer need to have minimum of 2 GB of RAM for a 32-bit system and 4 GB for a 64-bit system. You may need more memory if you are using computer more than two years.
Restart your computer
Restart or shut down your computer and start your computer again few seconds.This is not the permanent solution but it can temporarily speed up you computer. It will refresh the memory of your computer.
Defragment hard disk
Note: Do not use defragmentation on SSD disks.
Sometimes a faster computer requires not just having free space on the disk, but also using that space efficiently. Defragmentation helps files to organized which helps accessing files much quicker.
You can defragment hard disk by following steps:
- Open my computer
- Select drive you want to defragment > right click > properties
- Click tools and press defragment now.